Monday, July 16, 2007

Essential China tip - best Web proxy yet!!

A cross-post from Froogville. I don't do this often, but this is important.



My cyber-pal Leah was saying a little while ago that she couldn't be bothered with the Firefox workaround the rest of us have been relying on to circumvent The Great Firewall here in China. However, only in the secluded environs of a comment did she explain that she was able to spurn the Firefox option because she was getting by just fine with a site called Kallahar's Place.

I admit, I was sceptical at first. I think I tried it when she first mentioned it to me several months ago, and it seemed not to work..... so, I just thought, "A-ha, good in America; no good in China."

But now, it's working fine. Or at least, "Method #2" on the page is ("Method #3" is annoyingly glitchy, and "Method #1" is a link to the Proxify service - which, at present, appears to be "no good in China"): you just type in your desired URL, and away you go.

The big advantage of this proxy is that it enables you to leave comments on blogs. None of the others I've tried has allowed this. Very useful.

Tulsa, take note. You have no excuse for not keeping up with your commenting duties from the office now.


PS I have just found one rather odd glitch with "Method #2" - the browser gets "stuck" on the webpage you're visiting, and you can't easily get back to the Kallahar proxy page to visit other websites. Well, you can..... if you click 'Refresh'!! Watch out for that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

except it seems to be translating from the German... and the translation is not always so perfect.

Froog said...

The German one is "Method #3", and it is a pain-in-the-arse; not really a functional method at all.

Why did you pass over "Method #2"???

Anonymous said...

I don't remember. I'd already given # 2 a try on froogville, so maybe I felt like experimenting.

Anonymous said...

CGIProxy is the best one:
http://rapidshare.de/files/39095805/cgiproxy.2.1beta17.zip.html