Monday, July 02, 2007

Oscar's

I haven't yet found a bar I like in Shanghai.

I rather doubt I'm ever going to find one. It just doesn't strike me as being a fun town - in the sleazy, low-rent kind of way that I so enjoy.

I've been there 5 or 6 times over the last 18 months, and the only bar I find myself seeking out is an American-style sports bar named Oscar's.

On my first ever visit, I found that it was a convenient place to wait for the friend who was putting me up to get home from work (it was only a few minutes' walk away from the apartment she had then).

It's quite central, and easy to find - so I've found myself going back there almost every time since...... merely a slave to convenience and familiarity; I have still developed no real enthusiasm for the place.

Same story this weekend. My friend L (a different one, living over by the river, to the north) was busy most of the day on Saturday, and didn't have anywhere in her building complex she could leave a key for me. I was done with work by lunchtime, and facing a sweltering afternoon of hauling my luggage around the centre of town until I could rendezvous with her that evening. I tried exploring, sightseeing, shopping for a while, but the humidity was ugly. Then I got my bearings, realised Oscar's was only a mile or so away, and set my course.

Now, the place does have a few things going for it. There is a good selection of imported beers. The beers on draft mostly taste pretty good (something that you rarely or never find with any consistency in Beijing). There's a fairly decent pool table upstairs (though one of those loathsome American designs with the super-slick cloth, rock-hard cushion rails, extra-wide pockets, and sharply angled pocket jaws - not good for a Brit like me; not good for anyone, really, who favours a tactical game over flashy - but not terribly difficult - potting). And they keep their beer mugs in the ice-box to frost them (an American quirk I've grown rather fond of). Also (and this is probably the main reason it has become such a regular destination for me), they always have a pile of free tourist maps of the city (I've only ever seen these at a few other places. 'Tourist Information' offices certainly don't have them! In fact, they are now rare as hen's teeth. Oscar's seems to have laid in a stock of thousands of the things.... although I notice they are still labelled 2006....).

A promising haunt, then. So, what's not to like? It's hard to put a finger on it, but the place is strangely charmless. It probably doesn't help that I've usually only been there in the afternoons, when the place is pretty much deserted. And when there are people in, they are exclusively expats. There are a few places in Beijing that share that vice - and I avoid them too. I didn't come all this way to live in a fascinating, crazy, fast-changing country..... and then spend all my time hanging out in places where the only Chinese faces I would ever see belonged to the serving staff. Some people seem to like that kind of environment; I don't.

Ah, yes - and it's bloody expensive. There's an "all day" Happy Hour until 8pm - half-price drinks. Very nice, you might think. Except that the regular prices are very nearly twice as much as you'd pay in Beijing. And I don't just mean twice as much as you'd pay in the sort of low-rent, student-friendly dives that I favour. No, twice as much as you'd pay in a comparable bar, an upmarket, affluent expat bar.

And that's pretty standard for Shanghai. Shanghai is wince-makingly expensive. That's the reason why I only go there 2 or 3 times a year. That's the reason why I never go to Oscar's after 8pm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, even my Shanghai friends prefer the Beijing scene.

Oscars doesn't sound that amazing to me, but if it seems to serve you well as a waiting room.

Froog said...

Ah yes, there could be a poem (and/or a short story in that one day): the bar as 'waiting room'.

Actually, I don't much like the bar 'scene' in Beijing either. Western-style bars are usually not well done, and hellishly expensive. Chinese-style bars (this seems to be what Shanghai is lacking, in my limited experience of the place) are inappropriately coffee-shoppy (although I can form an attachment to them if the service is friendly and the location convenient).

Basically, I only go to bars that have something else to offer aside from being a bar: literary events & library (Bookworm), decent food (Rickshaw, The Den, PassBy), pool (The Pool Bar), live music (Kolegas, Yugong Yishan, Jiangjinjiu, Jianghu), a courtyard (Jianghu, PassBy).

For just drinking, I much prefer sitting out on the sidewalk somewhere with a plate of chuan'r and a 2 kuai bottle of Yanjing beer.

Anonymous said...

May I make a few comments as a regular in Oscars?

Prices: There is lots of competition between the bars in the area so the prices are competative for Shanghai. Its not Oscars that is high.Its Shanghai!

The place tends to get going around 17.00. During the morning/afternoon the staff are all Chinese thought the lady that owns the place keeps a firm grip and they (most) speak good English. At 18.00, Jenny, the one Phillipino working there starts work and the place comes alive.

Best place in the area to buy DVD's from Jack (good quality and so cheap!)

and finally....us guys... (and girlfriends/wives) ...we don't bite (most of the time) and enjoy meeting new faces. Try sitting at the downstairs bar. Bet its not 5 minutes before you are in conversation with someone.

They lost the "long time" chef some months back and the quality had dropped but Ray (just ask for him) is again sorting it out.

I would point out that I am not connected with the owners as its seems like an advert has just been written ;) If you are our way again, walk in, walk to the end of the bar near the dart board and chalk "Round-The-World Barstool Blues" and we will make ourselves know. Who knows we may even make it into a tune and play it on the open mike night on Wednesday nights ;)

Froog said...

Thanks for stopping by, Shanghai guy. Yes, that did sound a bit like pro-Oscar's spam, but I'll let it stand! I wish you'd given yourself some sort of a name, though - "Oscar's fan", maybe. I hate anonymous commenting!

On the other hand, I have nothing against anonymous drinking - and I fear to identify myself after having given such a lukewarm review to your favourite watering-hole.


As I said, my experience of the place is pretty limited, and I haven't been there in well over a year now. It is probably "my favourite bar" in Shanghai - but I'd like to find something better.

My complaints against it are mainly about the prices - which I realise are fairly reasonable for Shanghai, but stratospheric for Beijing (and I'm not a rich man). My other misgivings are purely quirks of personal taste - not much liking 'expat bars' in general, not liking American-style pool tables.

I might be looking in again soon, maybe even later this month. Keep an eye out for the curmudgeonly Beijing-ren.

Anonymous said...

Back to rectify the lack of name ;)

I get your point on the pool table but as I stay clear of them to keep my snooker eye in it does not affect me to much.

In the last year, What was British Bulldog, now just Bulldog, close to Oscar's has been re-opened after reufurbishment (i.e. the bogs don't flood and stink anymore. All day none stop happy hour (two for one drinks and on Monday the same applies to the meals). Better pool table and an excellent band every second week on a Friday night (but I am a little biased there)

I have so far been unable to make Beijing yet but hope to change that in the next few months so who knows, I may call on you for assistance on the bars there.

Froog said...

Thanks for de-cloaking, Pete.

The Bulldog definitely sounds worth checking out. Thanks for the tip.

You will find quite a few pointers to the Beijing scene if you look at my 'Bar Awards' (link in the sidebar), or the 'Favourite Bars in Beijing/China' category.