Sunday, September 02, 2007

Special Fine

Soon after my arrival in Beijing I discovered a local "brandy" from the Changyu company, proudly but misleadingly labelled 'Special Fine', and boasting recognition as a 'China Famous Brand'.

It would cost 11 or 12kuai in most places, but I found one small supermarket (now defunct) that was selling it for 10.80. Bargain. In recent years, the price has crept up to 13 or 14kuai a bottle, but given the current strength of the pound that's probably about the same in 'real' terms as 5 years ago.... still less than a quid, after all. Nevertheless, it was cheering - and nostalgic - to find it in my local hypermarket the other day on special offer at 10kuai. An offer you can't refuse! Well, I couldn't, anyway. (I wonder what has brought this about - I notice that these bottles are without the 'China Famous Brand' label; maybe it's been stripped of that accolade because of its anti-freeze content or somesuch??)

No, it's not very nice. It's basically baijiu, your basic rotgut spirit, coloured with caramel; and if I indulge too regularly, I'm sure it will probably poison me. But dilution with Sprite or Coke makes it modestly palatable (my disreputable mucker of yesteryear, Big Frank, used to like a nip in his coffee).

It's good, sometimes, to be able to get completely ripped for a matter of pennies. One of the things this country is really good for! I did it last night before the concert..... the rest of the evening drifted by in a happy blur.....

No comments: