Saturday, October 11, 2008

Great Drinking Songs (11)

For me, AC/DC are right up there alongside The Pogues as the greatest purveyors of the sort of nihilistic anthems you just want to YELL along to when you're a bit drunk. Downpayment Blues is another great favourite of mine. And, of course, Whole Lotta Rosie. But this, Highway To Hell, has to be the pick of the lot for a raucous singalong. At an end-of-term party in Oxford, I once sang myself hoarse with this song, completely lost my voice and had to excuse myself from my final tutorial the next day. Yes, I may be on a self-indulgent and self-destructive path but, what the hey, "My friends are gonna be there too."



Here's a great live TV performance of the song, from the band's original late-70s heyday. And, for fans of Brian Johnson, here are the boys rocking out at a concert in Munich 6 or 7 years ago (I think that was probably the last time they toured; they are getting on a bit now!).

Oh - news: I've just learned from Wikipedia that they are about to release a new album, Black Ice. That might be fun. Something else for the birthday wish-list (irresistibly appropriate, in fact, since the worldwide launch date is the same day as my birthday).

No comments: