Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Not in the mood

Now that the Olympics are finally behind us, all of the stupid bans and restrictions on our activities are suddenly being lifted..... and outdoor music events - which have been suspended all year - are once more considered 'safe'!

At rather short notice, the Modern Sky record label has managed to put together a three-day festival over in Haidian Park.

I haven't been able to find a lineup of bands online, but I gather that Joyside, SUBS, and Hedgehog are supposed to be playing today - three of Beijing's best bands.

Now, I am delighted that the music scene is returning to normal here at last. And I haven't heard any of these guys play for quite a while now. But...... it's a nasty, drab grey day outside; and Haidian Park is way, way, way over on the west side of town, kind of hard to get to; and I don't have anyone to go with; and...... well, I guess I'm just rundown from weeks of poor health. Apathy, I fear, is going to win the day.

I'll see how I feel after another coffee.....

1 comment:

Froog said...

Well, the weather brightened a bit by midday, but it was still a glum and smoggy sort of day. And I'm afraid I failed to overcome my inertia.

I think not knowing the band schedule was the biggest obstacle: it just seemed like too much effort to go all that way without even being sure WHO was playing, or WHEN.

As far as I could see, the Modern Sky website didn't have a list of participating bands (much less a detailed running order) anywhere, not even in Chinese. I fear that may have discouraged a good many people from going along. I hope the event wasn't a complete fizzle.