Monday, October 06, 2008

A txt msg bon mot for the week

I had been hoping to hook up with New Dad for a session in the Pool Bar last Friday, but the plan miscarried (although he was, at least, one of the few people to be reliably responding to text messages last week).

When I observed ruefully that perhaps my one-man malt whisky tasting (they have a really good selection in the 12 Sq M bar at the bottom of Nanluoguxiang) had probably taken the edge off my game that evening anyway, he teased me that perhaps it would also take the edge off the pain of my impending defeats.

In a philosophical mood that night (I get like that about playing pool, you know), I countered:

"Defeat is not painful; making mistakes is.

If you play a perfect game, you win. No pain.

Even if you play a perfect or near-perfect game and LOSE (it can happen!) - there's no pain in that. You know you were part of something beautiful. Like that game between PP + QC the other night."

No comments: