Sunday, December 28, 2008

Just like Ol' Man River....

.... the Possible Band Names thread just keeps rolling along....

Almost entirely thanks to the egregious Gary, who is a veritable band-naming machine and has been keeping the feature going pretty much single-handedly for the last several months.

I have omitted to give him due credit for his latest contributions, in October and November. These were particularly excellent lists, and I find it hard to pick a 'winner' from among them.

At the end of October, the upcoming American Presidential election was obviously a dominant influence, and so we got the sinisterly punning Welcome To The Palindrome and the more directly sinister Soccer Moms For Satan. I think my favourite of this crop, though, was Pitbull Lipstick. Other highlights from that list were Nemesis Schmemesis, Infinite Monkeys, Daggers Of Megiddo (I'm sure there must be a metal band of that name somewhere!), Suffocation High, Lemming Trampoline, and The Suburban Shamans (oh, that was so nearly the winner).

His Foreign Band Name that month was Weltschmerz, and his Cover Band the alarmingly plausible Pogue Minogue - " a bunch of mad Irishmen who do frenetic punk/folk covers of Kylie's hits".

His November offerings included Spartan Martin, Exiles From Atlantis, Mindnumber, and Suspect Device. Nude Newsreaders, Legends Of The Mall, and Strangers With Candy were very close runners-up, but I have to give the top spot to Tsunami Surfers.

In November, our Foreign Band Name was Ay Caramba! (shouldn't that have an inverted exclamation at the beginning?), and the Cover Band nomination was The Who tribute outfit Pinball Wizard.

Fantastic stuff, Gary. Thank you so much for all your contributions over the year.

(I have myself just added a few of the 'found band names' I've been hoarding over the past few months.)

I hope we may soon entice a few new readers to take part in this game (or goad early contributors into having another go).

Sometime in the New Year I'll try to run a poll to determine the Best of the Best from the first year of this thread (nearly 120 comments now - although probably half of them have been mine!). Tell your friends!

No comments: