Saturday, December 20, 2008

Norman No-Mates (again)

It'll be lonely, this Christmas, lonely and cold....

The Weeble, my best drinking companion this year, flew back to the States a few days ago. The Choirboy is flying home this morning. The Bengali, who had been intending to stick around, just made an impulsive last-minute decision to take a holiday somewhere (he's not saying where, secretive chap). Nearly all of my other occasional bar associates - Aussie Rick, Big Chris, AA, The Man In Black - have quit the country too. Well, Mr Sex is still here..... but - surprise, surprise! - he has "a date" tonight. And as for The Chairman..... well, of The Chairman, nothing can be said. He is "out of circulation". Probably permanently. He is lost to us.

In recent months, I have been finding that I can escape my solitude by popping down to my new local favourite, the 12 Sq M Bar - where most nights there will be a few interesting strangers to chat to (they get a lot of passing trade, mostly short-term visitors staying in nearby hotels); and, if it's deserted, at least I can banter a little with the friendly proprietors, Joseph and Li Mei. Unfortunately (for me!), they're off on an extended holiday in Oz in a couple of days, so tonight will be my last chance for a little fix of companionship there.

Like I said, it's looking like it could be a very lonely Christmas....

2 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

I cure this problem by ignoring Xmas. As ever, I will work on the day itself, though probably not for a full day,

I do also have tentative plans for a Jewish Xmas with the one person I know staying in town. Crap chinese food and a suspect movie - we are considering the new Clint Eastwood, because how can a cranky old man killing gangbangers, and including the line "Get off my lawn" be anything but a riot?

Froog said...

Is this going to be clever self-sending-up, or another of those ill-advised flogging-a-dead-franchise abominations like the latest Die Hard and Rambo outings? We can but hope.

I need to get out and party more. I have observed on here a number of times over the past year or so, that I'm getting stuck in a comfortable little rut of really not being too sociable - other than with the people I've known for 4, 5, 6 years. And, as is the nature of expat life, their numbers have withered to very, very few.

I think I'm going to start networking (and maybe even "dating"?!) a lot more in the New Year.

Happy holidays, you old humbug!