Saturday, January 31, 2009

Great Drinking Songs (15)

Time for a song again - so here's See What The Boys In The Backroom Will Have, the classic saloon singalong from Marlene Dietrich in Destry Rides Again (which, although a comedy, is such a wonderful film that it made it into my recent list of The Greatest Westerns, period). The refrain ".... and tell them I died of the same" should be a warning to us all. I reprove myself with it at the end of my short-lived experiment with abstinence.

My blog-buddy Tony tells me that the late Eartha Kitt (who died this Christmas, sadly) gave an even better rendition of the song, but this is not available on YouTube as yet. So, for now, here's Marlene as, er, "Frenchy".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, but Eartha's version was on YouTube until some rotten swine had it removed for "copyright infringement".

Froog said...

Oh, damn it, I hate it when they do that.