Saturday, January 24, 2009

Great Love Songs (14)

I really wanted to find Ella singing this one, but YouTube doesn't appear to have such a thing as yet. Natalie Cole will have to do for now. [Ah, at last it's turned up... here. Well, I can only seem to find her popular duet with The Ink Spots, but I'm sure she recorded other versions. I had long persuaded myself that the one I particularly liked was a Nelson Riddle arrangement, but it seems it was probably by Billy May, from the Ella Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook collection.]

It's Only A Paper Moon has long been a favourite of mine. During my first job - as a teacher in a small private school in south-west England - this became something of a 'theme song' for my best drinking buddy and me, as we shared our dreams of escaping to a better and more fulfilling life elsewhere.

No comments: