Sunday, February 15, 2009

Great Love Songs (15)

Given my profound distaste for the whole Valentine's Day concept, I wasn't about to post in this series on the hateful day itself. Even a day late, I worry that some of my readers may think I am succumbing to the prevailing slushiness, so..... instead of a great soppy love song I give you a great breakup song: Her Father Never Liked Me Anyway.

This is an old Gerry Rafferty song, though I first came to know it through the ferocious cover version on Shane MacGowan's first solo album, The Snake [now on YouTube here, but without a video; there's also Gerry Rafferty's original version, recorded with Billy Connolly, later better known as a comedian, in their late-60s folk band The Humblebums]. However, the only version available [at the time of original posting] on YouTube is this gender-inverted one from another great Irish singer, Eleanor McEvoy. (Who does her voice remind me of?? I'm drawing a blank on the comparison just at the moment, and it's driving me nuts.)

No comments: