Thursday, April 23, 2009

Purposelessness

Despite the dingy weather and my continuing ill health and the distressing shortage of fully-committed participants, I am pressing ahead with my long-planned, oft-deferred mega-bar-crawl this weekend.

Of course, one of my Chinese friends I tried to entice along queried the point of it: "What are we celebrating?"

The Chinese, it seems, always need an ulterior reason for getting drunk; they don't like to do it for the sheer hell of it.

I replied:

"Nothing - but the spirit of adventure itself. It's like climbing a mountain: we do it just to see if it's possible, just to see if we can survive."

Yes, it's something like 25 bars in all. Survival may be an issue. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

The Weeble said...

(Un)fortunately, I will be down in Qingdao on yet another Fun Fun Visa Run. Will survey the carnage when I get back Monday night.

Froog said...

You can get a visa in Qingdao??

The Weeble said...

Boy, I sure hope so.