Thursday, April 09, 2009

This busy life

In - ooops! - a little under half an hour, I must be scooting out of the door for an early evening beer rendezvous with my journo friend (and long-time pool nemesis) New Dad.

After that necessary lubrication, we are both heading to The Bookworm to see a talk by one of my major journalism 'heroes', Timothy Garton Ash (I've been reading him since I was in high school; gosh, how old is he now?).

I'll probably have to duck out of that indecently early - before the Q&A is finished, anyway - because I have to nip across town to Yugong Yishan for the Fethi Tabet/Panjir gig (which is ostensibly starting at 8pm.... although I very much doubt if it will be much before 9pm - these boys work on "Uyghur time", after all; I don't think they've started a gig on schedule in the three years I've been following them, so why should they start now?).

I am assuming that, unusual (and, from the slotting together with the Bookworm event point of view, inconvenient) though this early start time may be, it is probably nevertheless a reasonably accurate guideline, that things will start by 9pm and be over by 10.30 or 11. I hope so, because my jazzy friends the No Name Trio are making a one-off return to Jianghu - the cosy little courtyard bar where they used to play every Thursday night in the good old days. I should at the very least be able to catch their second set. And we seldom get away from there before 2am when they play. Oh dear.

Sometimes I worry that I'm trying to pack in just a bit too much....

No comments: