Sunday, October 18, 2009

A lucky escape?

At the end of August, I was in negotiations to rent a new house.  It was a traditional siheyuan type of place in one of the old hutong districts, a reasonable size, and quite nicely modernized.  It didn't have the open courtyard I craved, but there was the remnant of a courtyard (now covered over with a perspex pyramid) which at least made for a pleasant light-well in the middle of the house.
 
Alas, it was completely unfurnished; and the asking price, I thought, was - for an unfurnished property - just a tad steep.  So, I got involved in a protracted wrangling over the price (I was, in fact, trying to pitch a compromise package, where I'd increase my rent offer if they would provide a handful of basic items of furniture).... at a time when I did not have any time to spare, since my current lease was nearly up and my landlord was putting me under heavy pressure to renew - or get out - by the end of the week.  And the landlords of the prospective new home were down in Hong Kong, so difficult to contact.  Things moved slowly.  Very, very slowly.  And eventually I had to give up on the idea.
 
I was bitterly disappointed about it at the time.
 
But I try to console myself that there may yet be better (and perhaps even cheaper) properties out there.  With real courtyards.
 
I also console myself with the fact that this place was really not in a very good location for me.  You see, it was just off Nanluoguxiang bar street - exactly mid-way between two of my favourite bars, Salud and 12 Square Metres, less than a 5-minute walk from either of them.  Even closer to Ned's.  And Jianghu.  And the Penghao Theatre.  Less than 10 minutes from the Pool Bar and Amilal.  Just too much temptation!
 
I think the lack of exercise would have been even more damaging to me than the possible increase in alcohol consumption.  I mean, I go to those places about as often as I wish, anyway - but at least I have a 25 or 30 minute walk home afterwards.  And six flights of stairs to climb at the end of that, rather than being on the ground floor.
 
No, I think that little house would have been very bad for me.
 
 
I rather fear I would have had friends hammering on my door almost every night trying to entice me out for a drink as well....
 
 

No comments: