Friday, October 02, 2009

Put out more flags?

Every aspect of this 60th anniversary of the birth of the nation has to be even more extravagantly over-the-top than previous such celebrations (I've been told by a number of 'old timers' that yesterday's parade dwarfed the one they had for the big Five-Oh back in '99).
 
That extends to the number of national flags displayed on every street in the capital.
 
I was wondering the other day, just how many flags are there on the bar/boutique strip of Nanluoguxiang?  I would guess it's well over 100, and maybe getting on for 200.  And the street is barely two-thirds of a mile long!
 
What do you think?  Competition time: let me have your guesses, and I'll try to do a definitive count some time in the next few days.
 
 

2 comments:

Gary said...

I'll have a stab at this. I'd say there's probably two outside each doorway. A doorway every 10 yards or so. And the street's about 1,000 yards long. But then there's a few stretches that are walled off compounds, or big buildings like the drama academy.

I'm gonna say 288 - because it's such a super-lucky number.

Froog said...

I have 'the answer' now. But I think I'll delay posting it for a few more days, in case anyone else happens by who wants to hazard a guess.