Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Let the mayhem commence!

Around midnight tonight, this is what Beijing is probably going to look like again (despite the uncommonly slow start we've had to the overload of firecrackerage in the last week or so, and so far today).

I found it quite fun the first three or four times I witnessed it; but now the novelty has decidedly worn off.  Now it's just a case of "I wonder when it will be quiet enough for me to get some sleep?"

And there is bugger-all for the laowai to do in China for the next week.  Taxis come to be in very short supply, especially later in the evening.  All music gigs are suspended.  At least 70% of all restaurants are closed for at least a few days, some for a full week or so (and those that remain open are overflowing with Chinese punters).  A lot of my favourite bars are out of action, too, this year: 12 Square Metres and MaoMaoChong and Sand Pebbles aren't opening tonight; El Nido and Salud I'm not sure about (will probably be doing a recce early evening); Amilal should be OK, but it's not really an all-evening-session kind of a bar.

I am sorely tempted to just lounge around at home.  Except that I've just done that for at least 10 of the last 14 nights, and I'm starting to get a little bored with it.  And except that the DIN from outside will probably make it impossible to enjoy any quiet indoor activity like listening to music, watching a DVD, or reading a book - at least between 11pm and 1am!

No... I think I'll have to take my chances out there.  I just hope I can find a cheap bar somewhere in the 'hood that is still open but not jammed to the rafters.

No comments: