Monday, May 30, 2011

Saving a tailspin

This was being such a bad day...

I ran out of money. The job I had today didn't have the cash on hand they should have had to pay me. It was ridiculously humid. Then it rained. I went to Sanlitun for cheap beer and food. I remembered why I hate Sanlitun so much. I was serially stood up by all my friends. I encountered the worst run of 'China bad service' experiences I've ever known in such quick succession. Even my old faithful bar let me down - owners away, no regulars in, barman entertaining the tourists....


But then.....

My dearest friend came through (if only for an hour).

And I discovered the cheapest Long Island Iced Tea in town (not very good: the barman didn't know how to make it, didn't know how to read the recipe, started substituting vodka for most of the other ingredients - but it was strong, and only 30 kuai).

I met one of Beijing's only radio hams. (Wow! They still exist in the Internet age? It hadn't even occurred to me!)

And then I got an out-of-the-blue late-night phone call from a delightful young woman (what is it about Eastern European accents that's so sexy?) who has rescued The Chairman's mobile phone from where he dropped it in a puddle of beer on the floor of some divey bar or other. (It's really not the titillation of the charmingly accented voice that lifts the spirits; it's the kindness and decency of the gesture of going to that much trouble to try to reunite a cheap mobile phone with its negligent owner. We don't get many such moments in Beijing, and we must cherish them.)


And suddenly I feel in much less of a mood-slump than I was at 8pm. Such is life. Such is Beijing bar-crawling. I suppose that's why I'm still here....


1 comment:

Froog said...

The especially bizarre part of this - as I embarked on my second "Long Island" - was that the radio ham, although he insisted he wanted to try to practise his English with me, actually spoke none at all. He uses English with his radio ham buddies all the time, but.... not on audio, only via Morse Code! Was he shitting me?! Does anyone use Morse Code any more??

So, anyway, he reckoned he could understand me well enough if I wrote everything down for him... but sometimes he then needed to transcribe it into Morse to help him make sense of it! I kid you not.