Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Treble Quadruple whammy!!!!

Well, it's been a busy few days!!

The Siren, the lovely Italian who has been the most delightful of our new regulars down at the bar this year, flew home this morning. (She's going to be back, very briefly, at the end of the month; but last night was, basically, the end of her extended study visit to Beijing this summer.) Eva, one of the longest-standing Chinese regulars, is also going to be leaving us, we suddenly learn, within the next few days. And The Chairman is off today, too. (Only for his summer hols; but even so, the departure required a drink or seven.)

Worst of all, KP - my oldest friend here - is flying out tomorrow, leaving for good. She had threatened to do this nearly two years ago, but had a last-minute change of heart. This time, alas, it seems she really means it. She has been the one element of stability in an otherwise turbulent and chaotic decade for me. I fear I am going to miss her rather badly.


It's a bit of a Beijing phenomenon, this, the clump of leaving parties in the late summer. I don't think I've ever before had four of them in as many days, though. It gets to be not only physically gruelling, but a bit of an emotional drain. I find myself feeling rather flat and glum now. And bereft of playmates....


No comments: