Monday, July 30, 2012

Keeping tabs

The other day (don't ask me how!) I happened across this handy online booze consumption calculator. If you input the type and brand of booze you were drinking (from a fairly extensive range of standards; though you may find yourself ticking 'other' a lot of the time - especially in China!), the approximate size of the measure, and how many of them you knocked back, it will tell you how many 'units' of alcohol that amounts to... and how many calories.

It's the latter I'm more concerned about at the moment. My weight has ballooned over 220lbs in the last year or so, and despite two months of healthy living (mostly very light beer and food consumption, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, daily exercise), those extra pounds are refusing to drop off again.

For most of my adult life my weight was uncannily stable at or a little below 190lbs. It started creeping up a bit at the end of the 1990s, but was still only about 195lbs when I moved to China in 2002. Middle-age spread and cheap Yanjing beer soon started getting the better of me here, but I was still fairly easily managing to keep my weight in a 200-205lb range until recently. Something BAD has happened to my metabolism!


But I am not going to take this lying down (tempting as that is, when you're a fat bastard!). Oh no! I am going to get back down to 195lbs... if it kills me!


No comments: